DevTech Systems, Inc. (Devtech) is an international consulting firm and small business dedicated to development, with over 30 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. We are a data driven organization that specializes in informing policy making by delivering focused data-driven evidence-based analysis products and services. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management.
The Business Development (BD) Director will lead business development efforts, manage business development tasks, and work to strategically leverage DevTech’s assets across existing client base and develop new clients, with a view to supporting sustainable growth in DevTech’s key business areas.
Reporting to the Senior Director for Strategic Operations, the BD Director is a key member of the senior management team and an integral member of the firm’s operations. He or she will lead the identification, coordination, and execution of business development, manage business capture teams, and mentor staff. The successful candidate will strengthen and grow DevTech’s client relationships and maintain surveillance on market conditions, emerging opportunities and risks. The BD Director will be experienced at reading the federal marketplace, ensuring that business development strategic planning is able to meet its marketing and capture needs, while staying within resource budget. He or she will lead business development processes and tools, and will ensure the firm maintains strong bid performance, producing proposals that emphasize a strong technical and managerial tradition, and a thorough understanding of the clients’ needs.
Responsibilities and Duties
1) Leads the identification, planning and implementation of the new business capture process;
2) Advises and leads on bid/no-bid process, teaming strategy, recruitment, writing, and pricing;
3) Leads teaming agreement negotiations, identify potential partners, and helps manage recruitment of senior candidates on key positions;
4) Develops proposal writing tools and templates, ensures efficient and scalable production and management of multiple and multi-sized proposals and business opportunities;
5) Oversees the review and maintenance of bid/no bid criteria matrices, compliance tables, proposal training and onboarding materials, and related business development policy tools;
6) Manages the proposal development process, leads proposal teams, helps write and review proposals, and ensures robust compliance checking and quality assurance and control;
7) Maintains corporate reporting on business development efforts, including tracking and capture efficiency, and win/loss record, the need for surge capacity; and
8) Analyzes and integrates lessons learned from debriefings on bid wins and losses.
9) Oversees DevTech’s new business opportunities tracking systems and capture activities, including identifying opportunities within DevTech’s core areas across existing and new clients;
10) Leads strategic planning and implementation of the firm’s representation and marketing efforts, including to clients, in industry fora, and at strategic academic and related activities;
11) Represents the firm across industry and practice area events, strengthening both the firm’s brand and building new and existing relationships with clients;
12) Maintains surveillance on market conditions for competitive pricing and budget development;
13) Identifies opportunities to leverage and emphasize DevTech’s technical and strategic assets with a view to developing synergies in business development and growth of new business;
14) Identifies risks to business development and tradeoffs to alternative opportunities, with a view to ensuring the firm adapts and grows as new trends emerge across industry and practice areas; and
15) Leverages the academic and industry participation of technical staff for branding and business development.
Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor’s degree in international development, economics, or related field required, Master's degree preferred;
• Evidence of strong proposal writing skills;
• A proven track record of leading, writing and winning USAID, Department of State, and other International U.S. Government federal awards;
• A thorough understanding of USAID, AIDAR and the FAR policies, practices, and contracting and bidding processes is required;
• A technical background in one of DevTech’s international development primary fields, including economic policy, education, gender, democracy and governance, desired;
• Strong management and leadership experience is required;
• A thorough knowledge of the development industry, with a wide business development network with international development donors and service providers is required; and
• English required a second language is highly desirable.
NOTE: This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.